Resize Image

Montana Pitmaster Classic Info

Master Series Contest

A Master Series requires teams to cook 4 types of meat (Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork Butt, & Brisket). The cooking source at a Master Series shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. KCBS Rules and regulations apply. Master Series are eligible for American Royal and Jack Daniels World Championship, upon meeting qualifying criteria. In addition, all teams who participate in a Master Series earn points towards the KCBS Team of the Year awards presented at our annual banquet.

Judging

KCBS representation will be monitoring the judging process. Meats will be turned in using the containers given to the contestants at the Cooks Meeting on Friday night at 7:00 pm in Pitmaster Event Tent.

Prize Breakdown:

Per Category: 1st - $1,000; 2nd - $500; 3rd-$200; 4th - $100; 5th - $75; 6th - $50; 7th - $25; 8th - $20

Bozeman’s BBQ N Blues Night - People’s Choice Awards: 1st - $500; 2nd - $250; 3rd - $100; 4th - $50

Overall Awards: 3rd - $500; 4th - $300; 5th - $200; 6th - $100; 7th - $75; 8th - $50

Reserve Champion: $1,000

Grand Champion: $2,000


Meat Specifications (Meat will be inspected upon arrival at event):

The meats do not have to be in the original packaging & may be trimmed prior to meat inspection, but no meat may be seasoned, injected or cooked, prior to the inspection.

Chicken:

Chicken includes Wild or Farm-raised Chicken, Cornish Game Hen & Kosher Chicken. The Chicken may be whole or in parts.

Pork Ribs:

Ribs maybe spare ribs; St Louis cut pork ribs or baby back ribs. The Ribs must include the bone. Country Style ribs are prohibited.

Pork:

Pork is defined at Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at the time of inspection. No Pork Loin, Pork tenderloin, Pork Chop or other types of pork roast is permitted. You should look at the label to try to determine the cut of meat. If there is not a label on the meat, (and it is not required) inquire of the cook about the cut. KCBS only accepts the National Pork Board definitions as to the description of Boston Butt, Picnic and/or whole shoulder. Should you or the cook team have questions, please refer to the Contest Rep for further clarification. You may also suggest the cook check out the National Pork Board’s definitions for Boston Butt (406 bone-in or boneless); Picnic (405 bone-in or boneless); and whole shoulder (403).

Brisket:

Brisket may only be beef brisket. It may be whole (packer trimmed), flat or point. No other beef product may be substituted for the Brisket. Corned beef is not allowed.

KNOW YOUR TURN-IN TIMES

Turn in the process requires you to be on time, to the second. Late turn in's will be disqualified

Saturday 11:55 A.M.—12:05 PM

The chicken category is turned in and judging begins

Saturday 12:25 PM—12:35 PM

Pork Rib category is turned in and judging begins

Saturday 12:55 PM—1:05 PM

Pork category is turned in and judging begins

Saturday 1:25 PM—1:35 PM

Brisket category is turned in and judging begins

Saturday 4:30 PM

Awards ceremony located in the Pitmaster Awards Tent

Bozeman’s BBQ N Blues Night (Friday, August 24th, 5 PM-8 PM)

Bozeman’s BBQ N Blues Night is a special community event showcasing the teams of the Montana Pitmaster Classic. Teams can provide a menu of any food items or products they wish to sell during the BBQ N Blues Night. In accordance with KCBS, the public will turn in cash for BBQ Chips — $1.00 = 1 BBQ Chip. BBQ Chips will be available to the public the week of the contest and on-site Friday. Participating teams will receive a check for 70% of their BBQ Buck Sales 7-10 days after the contest, with the remaining 30% going to the Gallatin Valley Y.M.C.A which will be a tax-deductible donation for your team. Teams must turn-in their BBQ Chips Saturday Morning, 8:30-9:30 AM at the Pitmaster Events Tent. Participating Teams will receive a sign & menu indicating to the public you are selling.

Download the Temporary Food License Application


Interested in Judging?

Do you have a taste for BBQ? Sign up to judge this year's Montana Pitmaster Classic.

By signing up your are indicating that you would like to participate as a BBQ judge.

Sponsors